You are here:
What’s On guide: a...
What’s On guide: an awesome August at Royal William Yard
Posted on: 02 Aug 2023
Come rain or shine, there is no shortage of things to do and discover this summer, as Royal William Yard unveils its packed programme of events for the month ahead. August at the popular visitor destination sees an array of free family activities, artist-led workshops, thrilling ways to watch the National Fireworks Championships, and much more.
As the school holidays stretch ahead, the waterfront destination offers options to keep kids busy and take the stress out of the summer – including a free pitch and putt golf day and family art class. Dates for the diary also include much-loved fixtures like the Good Food & Craft Market and Yard Sessions, alongside live music, comedy nights and activities on the water.
- Good Food & Craft Market - Sunday 6th August, 10am-3pm. Wander round the green and sample the best produce the region has to offer from this renowned maker’s market. Hungry for more? The Hook & Line’s fresh fish market and BBQ takes place at the same time (it also runs this weekly on a Saturday, 10am-3pm).
- Golf on the Green - Sunday 20th August, 10am-4pm. Come and have a go at the pitch and putt course laid out on the lawn. This family-friendly summer activity is completely free to take part in and open to all.
- Yard Create, Family Art workshop - Tue 8 August, 10:30am-12pm. Run by artist Jayne Ashenbury, this workshop encourages creativity by the sea, using acrylic inks, charcoal and other materials (all provided). £15 per family group – tickets available here.
- British Fireworks Championships – Wednesday 16th and Thursday 17th August. Join Plymouth Boat Trips' public spectator boat to watch the fireworks from the sea, or head into the water with South West SUP and paddle out for an uninterrupted view of the fireworks.
- Yard Sessions – Friday 18th August at Firestone Arch. Listen to music in the open air, for free by the sea, with a drink in your hand – there’s no place like it for summer weekend vibes.
- Ocean Studios has a plethora of classes for all age groups. For younger visitors, Mini Print Sessions take place every Saturday from 10-11:30am. For older children, there is a Summer School Creative Printmaking Program running from 21st –25th August.For adults, there’s everything from Make Letterpress Posters and Lino Printing sessions to weekly portrait and life drawing classes. Find the full listing here.
- Make at 140 is running a Sustainable Summer Sewing School at Ocean Studios on 8th-11th August and 15th-18th August.Aimed at 8–16-year-olds, the course will foster creativity, environmental consciousness, and hands-on sewing skills – culminating in a fashion show.
- Tweeny at the Pottery, based at Ocean Studios, has several workshops scheduled, including Surface Decoration - carving bespoke mugs on 9th August, Exploring Sculpture on 12th and 13th August, throwing experiences on 23rd and30th August. Book here
- South West SUP has regular summer social paddles running throughout the week, plus SUP Yoga on Saturday 19th August and a full moon paddle on Thursday 31st August. Its Summer Holiday SUP Club for ages 9-16 takes place every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, teaching the fundamentals of SUP and water safety in a fun and supportive environment. Find out more here
- Plymouth Boat Trips’ Fishing Trips run on Saturdays, 4.30pm-7pm from the marina. Taking 2.5 hours, it’s a fantastic way for the whole family to get out on the water and offers the perfect introduction to rod and line sea fishing. Tuition, kit and safety gear all provided. Book places here
- In the mood to be entertained? Head to Le Vignoble for a Soul Century Live DJ session on Friday 11th August. Steel Brew Co invite you to have a laugh at its weekly Comedy Night on Thursdays, and live music on Sundays, both at 3pm onwards. Monday evenings are the Seco Lounge week Quiz night. Thursday nights are the Hub Session gigs at Hub.