You are here:
Royal William Yard...
Royal William Yard celebrates an awesome autumn of arts
Posted on: 18 Oct 2021
From a regionally renowned light festival and art exhibitions, to makers markets and creative workshops, artistic talent is being celebrated and encouraged at Royal William Yard this Autumn. A vast variety of events – many free to attend – are taking place over the coming weeks at one of Plymouth’s award winning cultural destinations.
This Autumn also marks the welcome return of the Illuminate Light Festival – and ticket are now available to book. The much-loved festival from Real Ideas is back with light art and immersive digital installations that will capture the imagination. A different format from before, this will be a two-week long programme with a jaw-dropping exhibition as well as a series of workshop sessions for all ages. This year, the event will have a theme, focusing on the climate crisis and how to activate change, and it will involve work from more local artists.
Hailey Cattle, Regional Marketing Manager for Urban Splash, said, “Get inspired, create, and celebrate the vibrant arts scene in this diverse and special place. Our monthly markets feature incredible artists and makers, so you can indulge in unique treats or snap up one-of-a-kind gifts. Whether you want to immerse yourself in the Illuminate experience, enjoy an exhibition or learn new artistic skills, we have you covered.”
Dates for your diary this Autumn should include:
- Tasseography Textiles exhibition, running until 24th October, 09:00 – 15:00, Ocean Studios. Becky Dodman Wainwright presents 50 textile artworks created with 40 participants in this solo exhibition. A riot of colour and texture, the exhibition will feature textile artworks creating using tufting, embroidery and tapestry weaving.
- Native Makers Market, Saturday 16th October, 10:00 - 15:00, Ocean Studios. A curated market for emerging and established creatives from across Devon and Cornwall, where you can browse and buy an array of hand-crafted products, from clothes and jewellery, to prints and homeware. Find out more here.
- Make at 140 Learn to Spin workshop, Sunday 31st October 10:00 – 13:30, Ocean Studios. A course for beginners to learn how to use a spinning wheel. Starting by making your own spindles, exploring different types of fibre and learning to spin on a spinning wheel. Materials provided, tickets £55, book here.
- Mini Makers, every Saturday (in October and beyond) 10:00 – 12:00, Ocean Studios. Supervised by experienced tutors, Mini Makers offers the opportunity for children to create, interact and unleash their artistic talent!
- Portrait Clinic, every Thursday (in October and beyond) 10:00 – 12:00, Real Ideas café, Ocean Studios. Are you a painter? Sketching more your thing? Bring your materials of choice and join artist Mark Fielding for two hours of guided life drawing.
- Royal William Yard Good Food & Craft Market, Sunday 7th November, 10:00 - 15:00, Melville Building, Royal William Yard. The Yard’s ever-popular monthly market hosts the best in regional producers and crafters. Traders will include Adhock Homeware upcycled and ethical gifts, Foxy Pots concrete homeware and pots, Southway Silver hand-crafted jewellery, and Debby Mason marine life etchings and art. Enjoy goods and gifts by exceptional artists in this picturesque setting.
- Start Something: Print, Sunday 7th November, Real Ideas café, Ocean Studios. Newly launched, Start Something is a Real Ideas’ business support project. Start Something: Print will feature 10 artists for two months on a print residency. The pop-up event on the 7th will give the resident artists an opportunity to promote their work and gain experience.
- Make at 140 Macrame workshop, Sunday 7th November, 10:00 – 13:00, Ocean Studios, Factory Cooperage Building, Royal William Yard. Join this Macrame Wall Hanging workshop with an experienced tutor who will guide you through each step to learn Macrame techniques and knots whilst making your own wall hanging or plant holder. Materials provided, tickets £45, book here.
- Illuminate Light Festival, Monday 15th to 28th November, 17:30 - 22:00, Ocean Studios, Factory Cooperage, Royal William Yard. Back and shining brighter than ever after an absence of two years during the pandemic, the region’s leading light festival will run for a two-week period this year, and include interactive workshop sessions for families and additional artworks in new venue the Market Hall. Find out more here illuminate-festival.co.uk and book tickets now.
- Native Makers Market, Saturday 20th November, 10:00 - 15:00, Ocean Studios, Factory Cooperage, Royal William Yard. Another chance to enjoy the popular makers market in Royal William Yard’s creative Hub, Ocean Studios.