You are here:
Right Royal knees ...
Right Royal knees up at Plymouth’s most regal destination: join the jubilee celebrations at Royal William Yard
Posted on: 21 Jul 2022
With the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee beckoning, those planning to celebrate and make the most of the long weekend will have plenty to do at the most regal of Plymouth settings, Royal William Yard. From markets to music, children’s crafts to culinary offers, afternoon tea to paddleboarding – there will be something for everyone to revel in.
The former Naval victualling yard is known for its royal connection, having been named after King William IV; but it also has a link to our serving monarch, with a tree planted by Queen Elizabeth II herself 30 years ago, around the time of the Ruby Jubilee. The tree can be found to the side of Royal William Yard’s lawn, next to Rooms by Bistrot Pierre, and features a plaque commemorating its royal origins.
For those looking for inspiration for ways to mark June’s historic moment, there will be an array of family-friendly activities at the yard to enjoy, including:
Friday 3rd June:
- 17:30 - 20:00, Yard Sessions with Andy Quick at Firestone Arches. Yard Sessions offer an eclectic mix of live music in a relaxed setting by the sea. Andy Quick will bring an evening of indie funk to welcome in the weekend.
Saturday 4th June:
- 10:00 – 15:00, a special Jubilee edition of the Good Food and Craft Market on Saturday: Royal William Yard’s lawn will play host to a curated selection of stalls from producers, makers and more, selling tasty treats and unique gifts. Children can enjoy a variety of Jubilee themed crafts on the green.
- 12:00 – 14:00, Yard Sessions with The Peoples String Foundation, who will offer a session of orchestral funk! Mixing passionate theatrics with an urban gypsy sound.
- 10:00 – 17:00, Native Makers Market: head to Ocean Studios for an array of stalls showcasing the best of the region’s artists and makers.
Sunday 5th June:
- 10:00 – 15:00, Good Food and Craft Market: Back and even bigger on the Sunday, the monthly market will feature pop-ups from the best in the South West. Something for all the family, children’s Jubilee themed crafts will also take place on the lawn.
Looking for an afternoon tea fit for a Queen? Bistrot Pierre is extending the celebrations right up until 18th June, offering a limited-edition Jubilee afternoon tea for £16.95 per person – or upgrade to a sparkling wine/cocktail afternoon tea for £19.95.
Take advantage of another excellent deal running especially for Jubilee; South West SUP is offering 20% off all activities from the Thursday 2nd until Sunday 5th, giving both novices and regulars alike the chance to take to the water over the long weekend, with guided paddleboard tuition and group paddles planned. Just use the code ‘Jubilee' when booking.
Hailey Cattle, Regional Marketing Manager for Urban Splash, said: “A jewel in Plymouth’s crown, Royal William Yard is a must-visit destination, and we’re pulling out the stops over the Jubilee celebrations to offer even more to do, discover and delight in. Make a day of it and dine and drink by the water, or make a weekend of it and stay over – we have everything in one place for you to have a memorable visit.”