You are here:
Packed programme o...
Packed programme of upcoming events unveiled for Royal William Yard
Posted on: 03 May 2023
Set to be a scorching start to the summer, Royal William Yard has announced its calendar of events for the next couple months. Spanning culture, comedy, creative, culinary and more, this vast variety offers something for everyone. The vibrant line-up also sees Royal William Yard become one of the locations for Plymouth’s popular Pirates Weekend for the first time.
Kicking off in May with murder and moonshine at a pop-up immersive theatre production, followed by music by the sea with the return of Yard Sessions, and heading into June with an international film festival, there will be no shortage of entertainment. The waterfront visitor destination will also host extensive and exciting celebrations to mark the South West Coast Path’s 50th anniversary.
Dates for the diary also include much-loved regular fixtures like the monthly Good Food & Craft Market, gigs and art workshops. The Yard’s businesses have pulled out all the stops too, with a new fish market, wine tastings, comedy evenings, paddle-boarding and swimming classes. Real Ideas will be rolling out a programme of print and art workshops and events at creative hub, Ocean Studios.
Emily Jones, Executive Director of Commercial for Urban Splash, said, “We are excited to launch such a varied and vibrant events programme as we head towards the summer months, and there will be plenty more to come throughout the rest of the year. We can’t wait to welcome visitors to this special place to have a great time and make memories.”
- The Many Deaths of Michael Malloy: opening on 4th May, a new prohibition-era themed immersive musical comedy brings murder, moonshine and mayhem to Royal William Yard. Performances takes place Thursday to Sunday at 7pm, and a matinee on Saturdays at 2:30pm. Tickets are available here
- Full Moon Paddle: on 5th May, 8 –9.30pm, join South West SUP for a Full Moon Paddle. Book places here
- Summer Swim Group: 6th and 27th May, 9–9.30am, 27th May, 9–9.30am, ACE Swimming will run its group swimming sessions from Firestone Bay. Book places here
- Print Tutoring: 6th May, 9.30am–12.30pm & 1.30-4.30pm, print workshop and tutorial from Beth Munro at Ocean Studios
- Live music at Le Vignoble: 5th May 4–10pm ‘Soul Century’ Live DJ. Tickets available here. 6th May, 5-7pm with Rue performing. Tickets available here
- RWY Good Food & Craft Market: taking place on 7th May, from 10am-3pm, on the green – in its regular slot on the first Sunday of the month. This leading local market boasts the best food, drink, crafts and creations from the region’s finest traders.
- Coronation Celebrations: Join Hook & Line for a screening of the Coronation and celebratory meal offer at its fresh fish BBQ on Saturday 6th May. There will be free, Coronation-themed crafting activities for children at the Good Food & Craft market on Sunday 7th May.
- Artist Community Critique: 9th May, 6–7.30pm, monthly artist community critique at Ocean Studios, linking to Plymouth Print Social.
- Yard Create: 13th May at Hub Box, from 10am-1pm, is a free children’s craft session, for little ones to unleash their creativity.
- Yard Create: 15th May at The Club House from 6:30-8:30pm, is a watercolour workshop hosted by local artist Jayne Ashenbury. Book tickets here
- Print and Prosecco: 17th May, 6.30–8.30pm, try your hand at printmaking at an evening taster class – complete with a glass of Prosecco on arrival – with artist Suzanne Drummond. Tickets available here
- Wine Tasting: 18th May, 7- 9pm, Glassware Wine Tasting at Le Vignoble. A tasting of 6 wines to demonstrate the dramatic relationship between wine and its vessel. Tickets available here
- Botanical Printing: 19th May, 10:30am-2:30pm. Botanical printing on paper, an introductory workshop at Ocean Studios.
- Pirates Weekend: taking place over the weekend of 20th–21st May, from 10am-3pm. There will be a host of swashbuckling activities on the lawn and around Royal William Yard, including entertainment, a treasure hunt, music, plus food and drink aplenty.
- Yard Create: 22nd May at The Club House, from 6-8pm, is an Art in the Yard Drop-in Session – a regular get-together hosted by artist Jayne Ashenbury.
- Comedy nights: Friday 26th and Saturday 27th May at BLOCK from 7pm, A Press of Suspects comedy nights. Tickets available here
- Yard Sessions: 26th May, 5:30-8pm at Firestone Arch. In the scenic surrounds of Firestone Bay, relax with local musical talent with a drink in your hand as the sun goes down for the return of the popular summer Yard Session series.
- The Club House: Plenty of entertainment on offer, with Club Live (live music) taking place on 7th and 28th May, from 12–3pm, and Musical Bingo on 17th May, from 8-10pm.
- The Many Deaths of Michael Malloy: running until opening on Friday 30th June, this 1930s inspired immersive musical comedy invites you into our very own speakeasy, The Blind Pig, for a show like no other. Performances takes place Thursday to Sunday at 7pm, and a matinee on Saturdays at 2:30pm. Tickets are available here
- Summer Swim Group: 3rd, 17th and 24th June, 9–9.30am, ACE Swimming will run its group swimming sessions from Firestone Bay. Book places here
- Print Tutoring: 3rd June (9.30am – 12.30pm and 1.30-4.30pm), print workshop and tutorial from Beth Munro at Ocean Studios
- RWY Good Food & Craft Market: taking place on Sunday 4th June, from 10am-3pm, on the green. Bringing together the best of the South West’s artisans. There will also be free, family-friendly Geo Science craft activities and the Geo Trail interactive walking trail.
- Yard Create: 5th June at The Club House, from 6-8pm, is an Art in the Yard Drop-in Session – a regular get-together hosted by artist Jayne Ashenbury.
- Wine Tasting: 8th June, 7-9pm, Food and Wine Pairing Evening. Eye-opening and mouth-watering wine tasting evening to learn how to get food and wine perfectly shared and paired. Tickets available here
- Yard Sessions: 9th June, 5:30-8pm. Sundowners at sunset, with great music and vibes at Firestone Bay.
- Yard Create: 12th June at The Club House, from 6-8pm, is an Art in the Yard Drop-in Session – a regular get-together hosted by artist Jayne Ashenbury.
- Artist Community Critique: 13th June, 6–7.30pm, monthly artist community critique at Ocean Studios, linking to Plymouth Print Social.
- Print and Prosecco: 14th June, 6.30–8.30pm, try your hand at printmaking at an evening taster class – complete with a glass of Prosecco on arrival – with artist Suzanne Drummond. Tickets available here
- South West Coast Path: 15th June. Marking the 50th Anniversary of the South West Coast Path, there will be multiple events site-wide at Royal William Yard, including the culmination of the 630-mile Trailblazer Walk and the launch of the South West Coast Path Photographer of the Year exhibition in Ocean Studios (running until 27th July).
- World Trails Film Festival: 15th –17th June. Taking place as part of the South West Coast Path’s 50th anniversary celebrations, this international film festival will be held in Royal William Yard’s New Cooperage building.
- Live music at Le Vignoble: 17th June, 5-7pm, music from Blues Duo, Thomas Ford and Becca Langsford.
- Yard Sessions: 23rd June, 5:30-8pm. Live music at Firestone Bay to ease you into the weekend in style.
- The Club House: Club Live (live music) provides the entertainment on 24th June, from 12–3pm, and Musical Bingo returns on 21st June, from 8-10pm. Quiz Night, 7-9pm on 29th June.
Whatever your passion or pastime, there is bound to be something on at the Yard that appeals, with monthly and weekly events that cater for all:
- The Hook & Line: all new weekly fresh fish market and BBQ will take place every Saturday from 10am, and also during the Good Food & Craft Market (first Sunday of each month, 10am-3pm). Held outside the restaurant, The Hook & Line chefs will be on hand to give recipe suggestions and fillet fish.
- South West SUP: Stand-up paddle boarding classes, lessons and hire, all from Firestone Bay. Club Social Paddles Tuesdays, 6–7pm, Thursday 7– 8am, Fridays 6-7pm and Sundays 8–9am. Book a place here. Junior Club (age 10+) weekly sessions starting at the beginning of May and running on Tuesdays at 4.30pm and Sundays at 1pm – see more here
- Le Vignoble: Wine Club Members Tasting is a complementary tasting for members - tickets by invite only but free to join.
- Seco Lounge: Quiz night, Monday evenings.
- Hub Box: Hub Sessions, live music, every Thursday from 8pm.
- Ocean Studios: Mark Fielding Portrait Clinic, Thursdays from 10am-12pm. Mini Print Sessions for children, Saturdays 10-11:30am. Build on your drawing and painting skills on the third Saturday of every month with Mark Fielding. Drawing from Life classes, 10am-1pm.