You are here:
New exhibition cel...
New exhibition celebrates a Plymouth icon, as Royal William Yard’s cultural hub reopens in style
Posted on: 15 Jun 2021
The doors have reopened at Ocean Studios – Royal William Yard’s creative community hub – and a busy summer of events includes the launch of a captivating new exhibition to celebrate Civic, the iconic Plymouth landmark. A collaborative project between photographer Dom Moore and design agency 51 Studio, it depicts behind-the-scenes shots of a ‘building in transition’, giving a rare glimpse inside the building as it looked when Plymouth City Council left.
Catch it while you can, the exhibition is on display until 20th June, when a Crowdfunder will launch to create a book of the impressive images, as an ode to an icon and to commemorate the exhibition. Civic is the sister site to Royal William Yard for regeneration specialists Urban Splash, making it especially fitting that the exhibition should take place at the Yard’s cultural hub.
The exhibition is hosted in the gallery space at Ocean Studios – run by renowned South West social enterprise Real Ideas – which recently reopened to the public. A blend of culture and community on the coast, Ocean Studios is home to artists’ studios, gallery space, café and shop. It includes print and pottery studios, jewellery making facilities, drawing space, children’s mini-maker sessions, photography studios, a creative co-work room, and large event space for collaborations.
This vibrant and dynamic space also has a constantly evolving programme of events and activities to get involved in, ranging from workshops and exhibitions, to makers markets and
live music. Visitors can find out what's on at Ocean Studios and how to book by visiting www.realideas.org/whats-on
This is a glimpse of what to expect in the coming weeks:
- Native Makers Markets: The popular pop-up makers sessions are back, showcasing the best of South West artists and makers. These will take place 26th June, 17th July, 21st August and 25th September.
- Illuminate x PHASE SHIFTER, running until 16th June. This artwork from internationally renowned light collective Squidsoup.
- A Taster and Induction to Letterpress: Running on Fridays until 24th September, join Alan Qualtrough in the Print Studio for a free taster on using the letterpress.
- Mindful Art Club: Running on Fridays until 24th September, come and practice mindfulness, create art, relax and chat with Emma and Peggy.
- An Introduction to Drypoint Etching Workshop with Beth Munro: taking place 15th - 22nd June. This is a method of print production and a fun way to begin to explore the craft.
- Sea and Land - An Exhibition by Emma Carlisle: 22nd June - 11th July. Inspired by Devon and Cornwall, Emma’s work is a mixture of observed landscapes and abstract mark making.
- Portrait Clinic with Mark Fielding: 30th June - 27th October. Join Mark Fielding for a weekly Portrait Clinic to brush up on portrait drawing skills in a relaxed and supportive environment.
- Think Big Shop Small - Pop-up: taking place on 3rd July, an independent retail pop-up featuring a selection of Real Ideas members.
- Introduction to collage workshop: 3rd July. Join Agazart for a workshop that will explore cutting, tearing and paper pasting techniques in a fun and accessible way!
Hailey Cattle, Regional Marketing Manager for Urban Splash, says, “We are excited to welcome the Civic exhibition to Royal William Yard; this is a building close to our heart and it truly celebrates civic pride. It is just one of the many exciting additions to a busy and brilliant programme at Ocean Studios in Royal William Yard. As this summer’s staycation boom beckons, there will be no shortage of things to do and discover for the creative and curious.”
Claire Honey, Head of Cultural Experiences at Real Ideas, adds, "Ocean Studios is a special space where artists create, community gathers, and you can try your hand at making yourself with a range of workshops. We have a large sun-soaked courtyard, bright and beautiful café and gallery space which hosts regular art exhibitions, and a shop where you can pick up pieces made by local makers and creatives. Whatever drives your creative spirit, there’s a way to channel your energy at Ocean Studios and we look forward to welcoming visitors."