You are here:
Here’s to a happy ...
Here’s to a happy and healthy holiday; new wellness camp for kids launches at Royal William Yard
Posted on: 04 Aug 2022
This summer there is no shortage of things to see, do and discover for children at Royal William Yard, including a new wellness holiday camp. The ‘The Healthy Body: Healthy Mind’ programme combines a variety of activities to foster positive physical and mental health and wellbeing, and encourage children to explore connections with nature and the outdoors. The exciting new programme kicks off at Royal William Yard from Monday 8th August.
The sessions are run by award-winning local organisation, Arterne: Enriching the next generation CIC, which supports individuals and communities to be the best version of themselves that they can be, promoting a happy, healthy lifestyle. Children will be supported by a skilled and safe team, including a registered nurse and qualified teacher.
Focusing on promoting health and well-being for children aged 5-12 years old, the programme will run throughout the week, Monday – Friday through August and early September. There are various time slots available, including 8am-2pm (£25), 2pm-8pm (£25), and 9am-5pm (£35) – with a discount for booking multiple places. Bookings are now open, email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure a spot - places are available on a first-come first-served basis. A healthy buffet lunch, refreshments and snacks are all provided.
Cindy Willcocks, Founder, Arterne: Enriching the next generation CIC, said: “We recognise that the pandemic brought many challenges for children, which is why we have set up a programme to promote positive mental and physical health. We can’t wait to deliver sessions that will get kids moving and mindful in the great outdoors. We’re confident they will have a lot of fun and gain some valuable new skills to help balance a healthy body with a healthy mind.”
Emily Jones, Commercial Director at Urban Splash, added: “Royal William Yard is such a special place for so many people; a destination to relax, enjoy the great outdoors, and learn new activities. We’re excited to welcome a programme that supports the youngest members of our community to be happy and healthy, and can think of no better place for them to do this than here.”
The wellness camp is part of a jam-packed series of events and activities for families at Royal William Yard this summer, which includes:
- Geo Trail: a brand-new, immersive and interactive walking trail around Royal William Yard, developed with the University of Plymouth to transport families back 380 million years to show them what Plymouth was once like, and help them find and feel fossils. Find out how to take part in this free activity over the summer at royalwilliamyard.com/geo-trail
- Ace Swimming: Kids Sea Safety & Swimming sessions are taking place until Saturday 20th August. The group is aimed at children ages 7-14 years old to teach swim safety in open water and runs from Firestone Bay. It's a 30-minute session that includes safety and rescue information, an open water swimming session, fun activities and games.
- South West SUP: Junior Club is for children in school years 6-11 and you can sign up for single session bookings (rather than the normal 3-week sessions) through the summer, which gives families the flexibility to try something new in the holidays. It will run on 9th, 16th and 23rd August. The classes focus on developing stand-up paddle boarding skills, water safety and confidence, and meeting other children with the same interests!
- Native Makers: Saturday 6th August, 10am-5pm. The makers market will be on in the Yard’s creative hub, Ocean Studios. And then Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th. A weekend of markets and workshops at Melville building. Run by mums and creatives, Lucy and Stevie, these are family-friendly markets with a dedicated activity and crafting area to keep little ones entertained.
- Ocean Studios: Mini-Makers, 10am-12. Arts and crafts sessions at the makers table - where parents can take advantage of the adjacent café area. Also running is Junior Print Holiday Club, taking place until 31st August, suitable for all ages but loosely aimed at 5 – 11-year-olds. 12 spaces available per workshop, timings: 10am – 1pm / 2pm- 5pm. This is a series of print fun days across the summer holidays as part of Print in Action print festival.