You are here:
Celebration of the...
Celebration of the sea this September at Royal William Yard
Posted on: 01 Sep 2023
Surrounded by water on three sides and home to a bustling coastal community, Royal William Yard is an apt setting for a ‘celebration of the sea’ this September. With a packed programme of events that include a sea-themed festival and a celebration of a new national coast path, there will be activities and entertainment taking place at the popular waterfront destination throughout the month.
From open-air theatre, shanty bands and pop-up installations, to scavenger hunts, art workshops and walking tours, there will be no shortage of enthralling things to see and do – all for free. Delicacies galore will also be available from a lively fish auction, live cooking demos, and an array of artisan stalls – plus the Yard’s vibrant array of bars and eateries are open for indoor and outdoor visits.
This is the September line-up:
Sunday 3rd September
Royal William Yard Good Food & Craft Market, 10am-3pm
These monthly markets have been a staple of Royal William Yard’s event calendar for years but deliver something new and novel each time. September’s ‘celebration of the sea’ kicks off with stalls on the lawn that include artists – like Debby Mason’s sea-themed art and Sandune resin beach art – and renowned local producers – such as Barbican Botanics and Cornish Sea Salt.
Saturday 16th – Sunday 17th September
Seafest (taking place across Plymouth's Waterfront - including Royal William Yard, 10am-3pm)
This celebration of the sea, by the sea is taking place across Plymouth’s waterfront – with Royal William Yard taking part for the first time this year. Live performances, theatre and music will run across the weekend, with something to entertain all ages.
Sea Shanty artists, pop up stalls, and paddle-boarding taster sessions with South West SUP will provide plenty to discover and do. Resident independent seafood restaurant, The Hook & Line, will pull out all the stops with a fish market and BBQ, and there will be live cooking demos, with fish filleting tutorials and recipe recommendations – with wine pairings coming courtesy of Le Vignoble. Bringing Saturday’s event to a close, Ben Squire will take to the lawn to hold a fish auction.
For families, Higher Beings circus workshop will run throughout Saturday 16th September and Above Bounds Theatre group will perform an award-winning children's production on Sunday 17th September. An activity zone will offer free children's crafts, face painting and a Sea Life Hide & Seek challenge (with a tasty treat at the end!). Ocean Studios will have an ocean creatures themed Mini Print session, a Junior Print – Marine Life workshop, and offer Printing With Light – Free Activity – enabling everyone to get creative.
Saturday 30th September
King Charles III Coast Path Celebration - weekend of events, 10am-4pm
Fun-filled free activities will take place along the Plymouth shoreline to celebrate the new King Charles III England Coast Path – with Royal William Yard taking centre stage for the activity on Saturday 30th September. From live performances, guided walks and augmented reality immersive experiences, to artistic adventures, a scavenger hunt and Geo Trail with the University of Plymouth – the festivities offer something for everyone.
The events – hosted by Natural England – are an opportunity to explore and find out more about the coastline that forms part of this major new National Trail. When complete, this will be the longest managed coastal path in the world, spanning 2,700 miles around the coast of England. Details of the Plymouth events can be found on the National Trails website.
Also taking place at Royal William Yard this month:
- 2nd September Native Makers – Ocean Studios
- 2nd September Free Community Giant Lino print grand finale – Ocean Studios
- 2nd September Hub Sessions with DJ Aldo Vanucci - Hub
- 2nd September SUP Yoga – South West SUP
- 3rd September Pop up Record Shop W/ Futuristica - Hub
- 5th September Steel Quiz Night – Steel Brew Co
- 7th and 14th September Make Letterpress posters – Ocean Studios
- 9th – 24th September Devon Open Studios – Ocean Studios
- 9th September Sea Swimming Introduction Course – ACE Swimming
- 9th September Lino Printing with Claire Armitage - Ocean Studios
- 9th September Printmaking with Beth Munro – Ocean Studios
- 16th September Drawing from Life Workshops – Ocean Studios
- 20th September Print and Prosecco - Ocean Studios
- 28th September Sewcial Sewing All Day Extravaganza - Make at 140 at Ocean Studios
- 28th September Social Sewing - Make at 140 at Ocean Studios
- 28th September Italian Wine and Pizza Night - Le Vignoble
- 29th September Social Sewing - Make at 140 at Ocean Studios
- 29th September Full Moon Paddle – South West SUP
- 29th September Steel Live Band Night - Betamax – Steel Brew Co
- 30th September Mini Print Stamp Printing – Ocean Studios
- 30th September Junior Print – Trees, Leaves and Seeds - Ocean Studios
- 30th September Leaf Printing on Micro Presses Free – Ocean Studios
- 30th September Tree Ring Printing Free – Ocean Studios
- 30th September Sculptural Pottery with Alan Braidford – Ocean Studios
- 30th September Hub Sessions with DJ Aldo Vanucci
Keep up to date with What’s On at Royal William Yard at: royalwilliamyard.com/whats-on